The world’s top scientists say we have a few short years to get to grips with tackling climate change. That is why addressing this issue is a top priority for Stephen and will be one of Labour’s most important tasks in Government.
Stephen’s actions on climate change include:
- Leading the Labour Group locally in declaring a climate change emergency
- Working with Extinction Rebellion Portsmouth
- Voting to declare a climate change emergency in UK parliament
- Co-led a debate on active travel in Parliament to reduce vehicle emissions
- Working with the council to secure funding for essential sea defence schemes
- Encourages cycling around Portsmouth by promoting better infrastructure
- Lobbying government for investment in green transport that is also affordable
- Visiting schools to promote plastic-free and recycling campaigns
- Bringing the Shadow Environment Secretary to Portsmouth to hear concerns
- Planting more than 100 trees in Portsmouth
- Backing a green industrial revolution to create jobs of the future
“Undeniably climate change is the greatest threat we face. It must always be at the forefront of our agenda.
Children teaching Westminster a lesson by striking, Portsmouth people staging protests, pressure from activists such as Greta Thunberg –there is an atmosphere of change at a grass roots level and I believe that politicians have a responsibility to mirror this.”
To read more about Stephen’s work on the subject of the environment, click here.