, , ,

Labour announce major NHS pledge backed by Stephen Morgan

Labour, the party who created the NHS, has once again shown that they are the only party willing to take action to secure its future. Supported by Stephen Morgan, Labour have announced a major funding pledge for our NHS. This will include:

– £26 billion (£40 billion in cash terms) for the NHS
– More funding to tackle growing waiting lists, A&E and improve cancer care
– Raising capital investment by £15 billion to clear repair bill, transform mental health wards, more state of art equipment especially MRI & CT scanners; Extra investment for mental health services to give it biggest priority ever
– £1 billion in staff training, bringing back bursary for 28,000 extra nurses, midwives, health visitors, 5,000 extra GPs
– £1 billion boost for public health to reverse public health cuts

Stephen is no stranger to standing up for our NHS services, he said:

“Since winning in the 2017 election I made every effort to advocate on behalf of staff and patients alike.

Helping to secure £58 m of funding for QA Hospital, pounding the wards with local NHS staff, grilling Mr Johnson over medicine shortages during PMQ’s and holding to account these responsible for the NHS dental practice closures. This is my record of delivery.

I have so much more to do and so much more to give, in order to that, I need to be continue fighting Portsmouth’s corner and being a voice for our city in Parliament.”

The funding plan comes as experts warn the NHS is heading into one of the worst winters ever with hospitals already reporting ‘black alerts’ with heart-breaking scenes of patients, often elderly, languishing on trolleys.

Stephen said:

“Labour created the NHS. It is only Labour who can ensure its legacy. Following a decade of Conservative and Lib Dem Government’s wantonly hacking bits off our most cherished service, it is high time we had a party that put people above profit.

That is why I am delighted that Labour have announced a £40 bn funding injection so that we can tackle long wait times at hospitals like QA, improve cancer care and tackle issues with A&E”

, ,

“Young people have most at stake in this election, I urge them to take control of their future and register to vote” – Stephen Morgan speaks out to urge voter registration

Stephen Morgan joins the ranks of international celebrities in promoting the latest social media “challenge”, as Labour launches Youth Manifesto with votes for 16-17 year olds and new £1 billion pledge for youth services

Stephen Morgan and Amanda Martin joined Lily Allen and MIA today by getting involved with the latest social media “challenge”, the #VoterRegChallenge.

Mr Morgan said:

“This election will shape not just the future of our city but our nation.

Brexit, climate change, funding for our NHS and Schools. This is what is at stake. For first time voters, the generation of tomorrow, this is the opportunity to directly influence the world they live in.

I urge every young person to get out, register and be part of the biggest general election this nation has faced in modern times.”

Social media users on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook have been posting 15 second videos telling their followers why they’re registering to vote, before nominating three friends to do the same.

The Labour Party has published “The Future is Ours” – a manifesto for young people which will include an additional £1 billion of investment in youth services and the party’s commitment to votes at 16.

Labour has announced an additional £1 billion in annual revenue expenditure for youth services, twenty times the £50 million previously announced by the government. This will build a properly funded, professionally staffed National Youth Service, and will guarantee every young person has access to local, high-quality youth work.

Labour will double the annual capital expenditure for youth services that the government has committed to, investing an additional £250 million to build up to 500 new youth centres.

, ,

Stephen Morgan endorsed by More United, putting the country first before party politics

Stephen Morgan has been selected by More United as an ambassador of political fair play following his consistent choice to rise above mud-slinging and reluctance to engage in tit-for-tat game playing.

The Labour candidate has the support of the campaign group, as he seeks re-election as the MP for Portsmouth South, his home constituency.

Stephen Morgan said:

“Clean honest and frank politics. That is what Portsmouth people deserve. I am glad that More United have taken into account my track record of refusing to use divisive language and backed me as a local candidate.

I am proud to be endorsed by More United, a cross-party movement making politics less extreme and less tribal. If we want to heal a divided Britain, politicians must work across party lines to come together beyond the election and put the national interest first to move the country forward.”

More United aims to crowdfund £250,000 over the course of the election and recruit a national network of volunteers who will turn out to support candidates locally. The unique model aims to elect more progressive candidates from different parties to shift the balance of parliament away from extremism and reform politics.”

Tabitha Morton, CEO of More United said:

“This election we have an ambitious plan to flood Parliament with MPs who care more about the country’s issues than party tribalism. MPs who care more about compromise than their own careers.

By coming together to back these candidates who will work to find common ground, put country above party, and raise the bar in Parliament, we can build a better politics.”

, , ,

Stephen Morgan backs Labour’s pledge to offer free dental check-ups for all following long running action over patient access in Portsmouth

Labour is announcing plans to provide free NHS dental check-ups for everyone in England. Stephen Morgan has a record of delivery when it comes to taking action over patient access to dental services in his city, following the closure of 3 city practises and has welcomed his party’s announcement.

Scrapping band one dentistry charges will give everyone a free teeth MOT with their dentist, including checks for oral cancers, while also taking pressure off GPs and hospitals.

Stephen Morgan said:

“Access to dental services is vitally important and to use the British Dental Association’s words, we are in crisis.
21 million people have not seen a dentist for over 2 years, around just 50% of dental practices are able to admit new NHS patients and in Portsmouth, the number of children being admitted to hospital for tooth decay has doubled.

With the Government making real term cuts to dentistry of nearly 30% since 2010, more people are finding themselves unable to get treatment which is putting pressure on other NHS services.

I welcome Labour’s pledge to offer free check ups to everyone which will both benefit the health of Portsmouth people and save people going to the NHS A&E departments with preventable issues.”

The measures, are part of Labour’s plans to focus on prevention and provide a truly universal NHS and moving towards providing dental services free at the point of use. Labour’s full pledge on NHS England funding will be laid out in our forthcoming fully-costed manifesto and this funding will come in addition to the £26bn announced by Labour earlier this week.

Stephen Morgan said:

“This Government’s incessant will to sell off bits of our NHS and leave it in the hands of companies like Colosseum in Portsmouth, owned by a swiss investment bank, is irresponsible and puts profit before Portsmouth people.

I have a record of delivery when it comes to standing up for Portsmouth patient access. Hosting urgent meetings with NHS England to get to the root of the closures in Portsmouth, meeting the British Dental Association in parliament, grilling Ministers in Westminster, visiting dental academies in our city.

Labour and I have pledged to do more for oral healthcare, but do that we need your support on the 12 December.”

Jonathan Ashworth, Labour’s Shadow Health Secretary, said:

“It’s shocking that so called ‘DIY Dentistry’ is becoming so common with people resorting to doing their own fillings and seriously risking their teeth deteriorating further.

With 135,000 patients presenting at A&E with dental problems every year, it’s time we put prevention at the heart of our approach to dental health.
“People should not be risking their teeth because they can’t afford the care. With Labour, dental check-up fees will be scrapped as we help people live healthier lives.”

, , ,

British Broadband: Candidate backs Labour’s mission to connect communities across Britain by delivering free full fibre broadband for all

In a major announcement Labour have set out plans to deliver free full fibre broadband for all by bringing parts of BT into public ownership and creating a new British Broadband public service.

According to research by the Centre for Economics and Business Research, a full-fibre broadband network could boost productivity by £59 billion by 2025; bring half a million people back into the workforce; and boost rural economies, with an estimated 270,000 people more able to move to rural areas.

The Labour party announced the policy, describing the new free public service as central to the parties plans to transform our country and economy.

Stephen Morgan said:

“Bringing Portsmouth together and making a more inclusive society, that is our objective.
Portsmouth has a thriving community of independent bussiensses’, it is the responsibility of Government to support them in their success, key to this is strong digital infrastructure for businesses and industry.

If we are to be at forefront of the Fourth Industrial Revolution and a global economic player, we must speed up the adoption of technologies across our economy.”

The next Labour government will undertake a massive upgrade in the UK’s internet infrastructure, delivering fast, secure, reliable internet connections for everyone and putting an end to patchy and slow coverage. This will boost 5G connectivity across the country.

The plan will be paid for through Labour’s Green Transformation fund and taxing multinational corporations such as Amazon, Facebook and Google, and save the average person £30.30 a month.

Only between 8-10 per cent of premises in the UK are connected to full-fibre broadband, compared to 97 per cent in Japan and 98 per cent in South Korea. Almost 80% of adults surveyed said that they have experienced internet reliability problems in the last year.

Stephen said:

“I welcome proposals to deliver free full-fibre broadband – saving money for people in Portsmouth and local businesses. This will be a massive boost to our economy and a massive upgrade to our city’s infrastructure”

, , , ,

Giving veterans the support fit for heroes

Labour has marked Armistice Day with a pledge to support the armed forces and the nation’s veterans with better working conditions, against a backdrop of falling pay and privatisation.

The party’s manifesto, which will be released later this month, will include five major pledges to support the forces and their families:

1. Fair Pay – scrap the public sector pay cap, which has seen 5.8% real terms pay cut for the starting salary of an Army Private

2. Decent housing for forces and their families – end the growing reliance on the private rented sector

3. A voice for service men and women – consult on creating a representative body, similar to the Police Federation

4. End privatisation – root and branch review of outsourcing and a clear presumption in favour of public delivery of public contracts

5. Support for forces children – better access to schools with dedicated local authorities’ admissions strategy for the particular challenge of frequent school moves.

Labour’s candidate for Portsmouth South is a longstanding campaigner for better support for serving personnel and veterans.

He has been undertaking a variety of actions since getting elected to Parliament including calling on the Government to fund a veterans railcard, lobbying for bespoke mental health services and pressing Ministers to implement a scheme to record veteran suicide to understand the scale of the problem.

Stephen Morgan said:

“I have always been clear the Government has no higher duty than the protection of our citizens and the maintenance of national security.

Yet since 2010, we have seen 5,000 Royal Navy jobs cut, 12 ships axed, 91 defence sites sold off and the lowest defence spending for 20 years. It is clear you cannot trust the Conservatives’ record when it comes to safeguarding our armed forces.

When I asked the previous Government to begin recording veteran suicide? They refused. When I asked for the dry dock to come to Portsmouth? They refused. When I asked the Government to extend the forces rail card to veterans? They refused.
Enough is enough. Labour’s veterans pledge is a testament to the fact that they are the only party prioritising our armed forces personnel.”

Stephen has a strong record of delivery when it comes to standing up for our veterans. He has Hosted a debate in Parliament. Written out to 98 coroners. Hosted roundtable meetings with veterans in his office. Worked alongside local organisations such as All Call Signs and urged Government to instate a veteran’s railcard.

Stephen said:

“With a record of delivery standing up for our armed forces and our nation’s veterans already, I promise to do so much more.

As a strong national voice on defence, I will continue to put our armed forces first. I welcome the comprehensive plan announced today to help achieve that”

Stephen Morgan has cited his grandfather, a D-Day veteran from Portsmouth, as the motivation behind his relentless efforts to see our armed forces personal treated with the respect and dignity they deserve.

, , , ,

“The generation to whom we all owe so much deserves a Government that won’t cut the benefits they rely on”- Stephen Morgan vows to carry on fight for free TV licences for over 75s

In 2017, the Conservatives stood on a manifesto that pledged not to touch benefits for the elderly. The have gone back on this promise and Government has forced through policy that saw the free TV licence snatched away from over 75s.

Prior to the Government change, Mr Morgan been engaging with thousands of Portsmouth residents about this issue. Since, he has spoken in parliamentary debates, written a joint letter with Portsmouth Pensioners to the PM, grilled Government Ministers in parliament, met with Age UK and conducted independent research. Alongside this record of delivery, Mr Morgan has pledged to do more and said he will not put down the gauntlet until he sees the vital benefit restored.

What does this mean? 1.3 million of the poorest over 75s left with another big bill to contend with. 3 million households worse off. 500,000 people living with dementia facing a new difficult bill.

Stephen Morgan said:

“It is an outrage that this Government is overseeing the scrapping of free TV licences for 3 million older people, leaving a Tory manifesto promise in tatters.

We know that around 1.3 million over-75s are eligible for Pension Credit but do not or cannot claim for the benefit. This means at least 650,000 of our poorest pensioners facing an ominous new annual bill they simply can’t afford.”

The Labour candidate who has already served 2 years as local MP has also been working with others to look into how certain more vulnerable demographics will be affected by the change.

This includes those with dementia, veterans and those who have lost cognitive brain function through injury or illness and struggle with submitting applications.

Mr Morgan said:

“As if committing a policy U-turn on benefits for over 75s wasn’t enough, we also know that of the 80% of pensioners set to lose out, over 900,000 are brave veterans who have gone above and beyond to protect this great nation.

How is the Government paying tribute to them? By leaving another hefty bill on their doorstep.

This combined with the fact that 500,000 people living with dementia facing a new difficult bill is demonstration that Conservatives really are the nasty party.”

The extensive work Mr Morgan has done for older members of the community is not limited to action on the free TV licence. He has worked hard on increasing bus routes, called for a veteran’s railcard pledged unconditional support for the winter fuel allowance and regularly meets with Portsmouth Pensioners to ensure they have a voice in parliament.

, ,

City MP vows to maintain pressure on Government over poor rail service

Stephen Morgan MP has hit out at the Government Transport Secretary in his response to a letter he received last week from the department.

Since Mr Morgan was elected, he has been relentless in his calls for better rail services. Meeting with rail providers, attending cross-party parliamentary rail groups, asking questions in the chamber, submitting written questions and speaking to commuters in his patch.

In his recent letter to the Secretary of State, Mr Morgan spoke of his record of delivery and pledged to do more.

In an attempt to answer Mr Morgan’s tireless efforts to raise awareness of this ongoing plight affecting his constituents, Grant Shapps MP wrote a one-page letter to Mr Morgan setting out the Government strategy.

Mr Morgan said:

“While I appreciate the Secretary of State acknowledging the substandard service my constituents have been forced to endure in recent times, it doesn’t contain any detail. No dates. No numbers. No timeframes.

This is an issue that will affect my constituents tomorrow, they need to know now when the Government plans to resolve this issue. 67% of the trains run on time, what if Portsmouth people only paid their fares 67% of the time? There would be uproar.

It is time that Government took responsibly for the fact they have done nothing to address substandard train delivery and came up with a robust strategy for dealing with it.”

Mr Morgan also spoke out on what exactly was needed to improve rail services:

“There is an intrinsic need to not only improve rail times, but to also refurbish and upgrade Portsmouth rail stations and stations in the surrounding areas.

Access issues, faulty toilets, poor quality seating arrangements, unsightly exteriors and limited step free access are just some of the issues faced.

I have asked the Secretary of State to actually explain how he plans to deal with this rather than offer a half-baked proposal supported by no real commitment.

I used to commute every day from Fratton, where I grew up, to my job in London. I know first-hand the frustration at paying gold standard prices for a substandard service.”

Mr Morgan regularly raises the matter both in Parliament and in Portsmouth and has vowed to continue being a voice for commuters and rail users in his patch.

, , , ,

“With 1 in 5 Portsmouth children suffering from tooth decay by the time they are 5 years old, we need urgent action”- City MP speaks out after visit to University of Portsmouth Dental Academy

Stephen Morgan MP has visited a state-of-the-art training facility developed in partnership between the University, King’s College London Dental Institute and the National Health Service in his constituency of Portsmouth South.

The visit forms part of a long-running campaign adopted by the MP to increase patient access for all to vital dental services. Mr Morgan has vocally slammed the current Government’s ‘shocking’ record on dental services that has seen 42,000 children admitted to hospital to have multiple teeth removed under anesthetic last year alone.

The city MP spent time both with students about to become the next generation of first-rate dentists and the staff who work clinically in the Dental Academy and across a wide variety of community settings.

Mr Morgan said:

“Access to dental services is vitally important and to use the British Dental Association’s words, we are in crisis.

21 million people have not seen a dentist for over 2 years, around just 50% of dental practices are able to admit new NHS patients and in Portsmouth, the number of children being admitted to hospital for tooth decay has doubled.

With the Government making real term cuts to dentistry of nearly 30% since 2010, more people are finding themselves unable to get treatment which is putting pressure on other NHS services.

It is essential that institutions like the Dental Academy are consulted and discussion begins around how to deal with this issue.”

The key issues discussed by the MP and senior representatives from the Dental Academy were orientated around securing Portsmouth as a national dentistry training hub with even greater national recognition and increasing provision of services to the local community.

Mr Morgan said:

“At a time when dentistry is in crisis, with1 in 5 Portsmouth children suffering from tooth decay by the time they are 5 years old, the work being conducted here is more important than ever.

The top-class dental academy is yet another example of how work done in Portsmouth is not just relevant to our city but to the nation.

The opportunity to spend time with those working to become top rate dentists and the experts responsible for training them gives great insight into the work being conducted here in our city.”

Patient access to dental services has been high on Mr Morgan’s agenda for some time. Earlier this year, following the closure of three dental practices in Portsmouth, Stephen called an urgent snap meeting with NHS England and The British Dental Association.

Mr Morgan said:

“This Government’s incessant will to sell off bits of our NHS and leave it in the hands of companies like Colosseum in Portsmouth, owned by a swiss investment bank, is irresponsible and puts profit before Portsmouth people.

We urgently need a coherent oral health strategy that has patients at the heart of it and is focused on access and prevention, and NHS dentistry that is adequately commissioned and funded.”

Since the crisis with Colosseum dental arose in Mr Morgan’s patch, he has been relentless in his efforts to resolve the issue and secure dental access for all. So far, he has met with senior NHS England officials, the Director of the British Dental Association, grilled the Minister responsible in parliament, written out to the new Minster last week and been out to visit the services for himself.

He remains committed to being a strong national and local voice on all NHS issues.

, , , , ,

City MP announces major community policing consultation

Stephen Morgan MP has orchestrated a large-scale open consultation giving local residents the chance to have their say on the future of Portsmouth policing.

Answering constituent concerns alongside the Portsmouth South representative will be leading national policing figure and Chair of the Police Federation, John Apter and the city’s District Commander has also been invited to attend.

Mr Morgan said:

“From chatting to local residents on the doorstep and through communicating through my office, I know issues relating to police and crime are high on the agenda for Portsmouth people.

I believe that the community must be at the centre of discussions driving change and that Portsmouth people should have direct access to both their elected representatives and those tasked with keeping them safe.

That is why I have organised this open consultation. This is about frank, open discussion with the community at the heart of it.”

The Office for National Statistics showed that in 2018 there was a 27 percent increase in possession of weapons, a 17 percent rise in sex crimes, a 33 percent hike in robbery and an 11 percent increase in violence in Hampshire. This has meant that issues relating to policing and crime are a key community concern.

Mr Morgan said:

“Having been out with bobbies on the beat in every patch in my constituency, I have seen first-hand the challenges faced by our police force and the types of crime our community deals with daily.

In Hampshire alone we have 1,050 less officers than we did in 2010 and funding is down by a staggering 19%. This means that at a time when we have more crime, there are less officers and resources to deal with it.

Inevitably this means that it is our police force and our community who pay the price for Government funding cuts to public services. For this reason, it is essential that people have a platform to be heard.”

The city MP is no stranger to making a stand over policing and has already launched an online petition, has been out in every ward in his patch with local officers, regularly meets with the District Commander and Police Federation and has raised the issue consistently in parliament.

The event will be taking place on Friday 8 November 2019 at St Georges Church, Portsea, Portsmouth PO1 3AT on Friday 8 November from 17:00 until 18:30. Mr Morgan has stated that all Portsmouth residents are welcome.

Book your place at the event here: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/policing-in-portsmouth-public-meeting-tickets-79200714469

To show support for the campaign please visit: http://www.stephenmorgan.org.uk/police/